Sunday, April 02, 2006

The Egalitarian Quality of Natural Law

"[S]ays the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it upon their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And no longer shall each man teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, says the LORD; for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more." Jer 31:33-34

This passage was read this morning in church--it is one of my favorites. It ties in with my post from yesterday: The natural law is written on our hearts, we know it innately even if we don't (and simply cannot) understand it fully. In this way, even he who disavows the absolute nature of truth senses that certain things are fair and other things unfair.

Another thought occurred to me as I listened to this morning's sermon: The fact that, when we dig as deep as human reason can reach, with our most advanced science and mathematics, we find that we simply cannot understand the mysteries of the universe--that is a very equalizing and egalitarian notion. Not even the most intelligent, most intellectual person can understand the truth. But we all have access to it through belief--it is written on our hearts. Thus the simplest mind and the most complex may be equally in the dark and equally enlightened. And every person, "from the least of them to the greatest," has equal access to truth (and salvation) if they accept that which they know innately to be true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home